Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back in the USSR

Not just a Beatles song anymore. I am back in Russia and get to live it in winter this time. It was interesting returning after being away for only 6 weeks. We did so much in that time at home that I forgot what day to day life was like over here but am back in the routine already. Days are very short here now (9am-3:30 pm) so the evenings walking around in the city are behind me for now. Overall though its not all that cold here (granted it is a little warmer than usuall) but I think we'll get by just fine. This time at least I have Jen and the kids trip over to look forward to.

First couple days have been tough sleep shifting (slept 18 of 20 hours day I got here and averaging 4 hours a night sleep since). Should be back to normal by the weekend though. I got out a little the second day and went down to Red Square before they took down the decorations (their Christmas was celebrated 1/7 so a little later here). Its impressive anytime, but a little more magical with the snow and lights. I look forward to getting back to a few familiar places again and exploring some new ones too. Here are a few pictures from the first night out.


St. Basils at night in the snow.

Ice Rink in Red Square in front of the Gallaria.


Christmas Tree and the Kremlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment