Saturday, September 25, 2010

A nice end to a busy week

It has been a busy week here in Moscow. I started work on Monday evening at the control center here. Its a very interesting facility, in some places very ornate and museum-like, in other places very simple, its a neat place though and a cool job. On console we were busy with a couple of failed computers and the failed undocking attempt on Thursday. Friday was supposed to be a day off for me but I got a call at 8am to be ready to head into work since the Soyuz was still up there (did I mention I was up until 5am getting the house sale stuff done?). It was a great first week though, ready for the day shifts next week.

Since I wasn't able to get out alot during daylight hours I made a point to get out and enjoy the sunny Saturday. I headed a few Metro stops north to a big open pavillion like area.

This is the Monument to the Conquerors of Space, right outside the metro stop.


Here is one of the fountains, Stone Flower Fountain, in the middle of the plaza

This is the Friendship of Nations Fountain, very beautiful. There are benches all around, I sat there and rested enjoying the great weather and people watching.


This is the Worker and Kolkhoz Woman monuement. We drive by it everyday on the way to work so I had to go explore


This is the Central Pavillion, like most of the architecture here, very ornate and detailed.


It was a great area to relax and soke in the city and people watch a bit. So 1 week down 8 to go, its hard being away from home but I have been able to find ways to keep busy and still get to talk to Jen and the kids everynight. Selling the house was an interesting wrinkle this week, hopefully next week will be a little calmer.








No comments:

Post a Comment